Mom and dad had six of us kids, so
mom was always looking for ways to stretch the budget and provide a little adventure in the process. On one occasion mom found out about
this orchard where folks could pick their own peaches. It was quite the
bargain, so we all piled into the ford station wagon, including our dachshund
named Lucky, and headed off to orchard. Soon we were picking peaches and piling
them into boxes and bushel baskets.
Then suddenly, Lucky, who was
tethered to a rather long rope, lit up like he had been plugged into an electrical outlet. He went into full hound dog mode, tearing off full steam into a patch of scrub oak, in hot pursuit of some critter. We
all ran after him only to find that he had cornered the ugliest old skunk we had ever laid eyes on. At first I thought he was a porcupine but it soon became obvious that I was mistaken. The rope connected to Lucky had wound around the
oak brush so tight that he couldn't escape from the full vengeance of the
skunk. I remember seeing him straining at the rope
and barking for all he was worth. And that old skunk did just what skunks do.
We gagged as we put paper cups over our noses and somehow managed to unravel the
rope and get Lucky out of there.
That ended our peach picking
adventure, but what could be done about one unbearably smelly hound. It seems
mom may have suggested the tomato juice bath. I don’t think we actually tried
it. I do remember us digging a hole –I think at dad’s suggestion –and piling
dirt on top of Lucky. It worked pretty well except when it rained, and then he
would smell like a skunk again.
-Darell
-Darell

Except I remember mom wanting to pick as many peaches as possible so she wasn't willing to stop right then and I think I remember lucky digging a hole by the truck but I don't know if I remember it right.
ReplyDeleteThis is so neat and exactly what I hoped would happen. You remember different details of the story than I do. I am sure you are right about mom being determined to keep picking peaches.
ReplyDelete