Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How the Cub Scouts met the Blind Miner

When I was young, my mom was a Cub Scout den mother -not my Den Mother because I was a little older, but mom was always up for adventure. She always wanted to do things out of the ordinary, so she got this idea of taking the cubs scouts on a hike to meet the blind miner. Back then there was this old blind miner who lived up a steep mountain in a cabin in Big Cottonwood Canyon and sometimes you could see him pushing his mine cart along the tracks. Well I know for a fact I saw the tracks. I don't know how mom knew how to find his cabin, but she took those energetic cubs on the hike up the steep forested mountain slopes and they found the blind miner's cabin and knocked on his door. He was surprised to have guests. He welcomed mom and the boys in to his abode. Although, he was a little embarrassed because his eyes weren't covered with patches, and I guess he looked a little hideous because of some mining accident where he lost his eye sight, he was friendly.  Mom and the cubs scouts all had good time visiting with the friendly old blind miner, who wasn't such a hermit after all. I am sure it brightened his day just a bit.

Actual sign in Big Cottonwood Canyon

-Darell

No comments:

Post a Comment