Sunday, March 2, 2014

Cucumber Sandwiches and Apple Pie

Submitted by Kathy Randall:

When Uncle Arlin and I first started going out together, we were going up to Pocatello so I could meet Grandma and Grandpa Randall. It was going to be  a long drive after he finished work. I decided to make sandwiches etc. Part of the etc. was sliced cucumbers. So somewhere between bites of the sandwich Uncle Arlin ate one or two of the cucumber pieces. He said with much enthusiasm, "Oh this tastes better than Gloria's apple pie." I thought Gloria must not make very good apple pie for a cucumber to taste better. I thought that was a weird thing to say. We had a nice trip and visit in Pocatello. Several weeks later he took me to meet and eat with all of you. We had roast leg of lamb and several other goodies. For dessert was Gloria's apple pie. One bite of that and I thought Uncle Arlin had something wrong with his taster, because, like the rest of the meal, it was delicious. I didn't say anything for several years, but one time I remembered what he had said and served cucumbers for something special and I said I knew he liked them more than apple pie. He thought I was crazy." Why would you think something like that?" We had a good laugh after I explained why I thought that.. What he had been saying was that Gloria made excellent apple pie, but the cucumbers on that drive to Pocatello were exceptionally tasty and refreshing and he used the delicious apple pie for a comparison. Gloria has always been a wonderful cook, but more important a wonderful example of good to me, always so patient and kind and accepting of people. I'm blessed to know her.
Love ,

 Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment