One of the things that the cub scouts loved, was her home made whole wheat bread, that would be coming fresh out of the oven as den meeting was ending. About the time den meeting was finishing, Mom was already getting supper ready for when Dad got home. I remember some of Mom's cooking back then and I liked it all except the liver. The liver usually came with bacon and onions so we ate the bacon and had to be coerced to eat the liver. One thing Mom cooked that I couldn't get enough of, was beef tongue. Although, I could barely stand to look at the barbed skin that Mom had to carve off the tongue into the sink. There was sheep herder stew, meat loaf, tamale pie/casserole, beef stew and green beans with cream of mushroom soup. I remember the pressure cooker hissing away on the stove. In the late Summer early Fall, Mom always did a lot of canning. It was a lot of work but Mom always seemed happy to do it and we loved the peaches and pears through out the year. Mom would take time to sit down and give me piano lessons. When we had the paper route, Mom used to drive us around on Sunday mornings. That was one year with me and one year with Darell. Mom wanted us to learn responsibility with a paper route but meant she was almost as involved as we were. Mom would drive Darell and I to hockey practice and back for a couple of seasons as I recall. In the summer, there were picnics, visits to the zoo, pioneer village and swimming lessons. Mom was always there when we came home from school or playing hard outside and there was always a snack.
-Corydon
![]() |
| Promontory Point |
![]() |
| Fishing at Fish Lake |


No comments:
Post a Comment