The weekend before, Jeanette and I attended the bumpin' Randall reunion (don't forget to bring your own meat!) which Grandma Bagley had made a strong effort to get as much of the family out to as possible. We were happy to attend and enjoyed the festivities. Once everyone had a fair share of the potluck and had settled around MC Gloria-fizzle, with the reminisce-izzle on the mic, we were privileged to learn of all the new happenings in the fam. New babies being born, not much older 18-year-olds going on missions, baptisms, more babies, and some weddings. Grandma announced our wedding with a great big smile, a booming voice, and all the confidence in the world and said, "Preston and Jeanette just got married this last May in the Toronto Temple!" I just smiled and thought to myself, "Eh that's close enough, we got married just a couple miles south ...you know, Houston, Texas." Grandma realized her mistake and started to laugh hysterically and we all laughed with her! It was definitely a funny moment and a highlight of the reunion. Don't forget to come this year and don't forget your meat!
I listened to the message left on my phone, now a few days after the reunion. I listened to the sweetest message ever as I heard my Grandmother apologize for her mistake and how she knew and had always known the location of our marriage (she was there). At the reunion I just enjoyed the comic relief and hadn't thought of it again, but receiving this message made me realize how bad Grandma felt about it. I realized then how much my Grandmother cared about me and the rest of her grand and great-grand kids. I saw how much Grandma wants to be involved and a part of our lives because she cares so much. I have never met a woman with a bigger heart than Grandma Bagley.
We used to run when Grandma whipped out her camera, but never when she whipped out a big hug. There was and is always something special about her hugs and her cute little chuckles that make you feel so good and so loved. When I was younger I thought Grandma was the best because she always had my favorite yogurt ready for me in the fridge, and she would always bust out the most tasty food at a moments notice. Grandma has this magic ability to take something as foul as eggplant and make it taste as good as hot cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. But now that I'm older, I realize that it wasn't Grandma's cooking charm that made Grandma special, but the unconditional love behind all the treats and the mouth-watering grub. If Charity is what make us something, then compared to Grandma, she is amazing and we are nothing. I'm so grateful to have such an amazing example of Christlike love in my life and so glad I can call her Grandma. Thanks for your love over all these years!
Love, your grandson Preston
| Grandma always there, especially to see me off onto the mission. |
![]() |
| A hot and sunny day in Houston! See she was there for the best day of my life! |

No comments:
Post a Comment